St. Nicholas House, St. Nicholas Rd, Sutton SM1 1EL
+44 (0)20 3903 3000

History

Our History

A long-term commitment to execution excellence

Originally established by the British Crown, we can trace our roots back to 1749, and have provided banking services from our London base since 1833. This long history of commitment to excellence means we have an extensive network of global partners and the expertise to deliver efficient, scalable services to facilitate trade and commerce between our focus markets and the rest of the world.

 

Our History
1833

The first joint agents general for crown colonies were appointed by the British government to manage grants, raise capital and provide procurement services

1870

Began raising capital by floating loan bonds on the London securities market.

1930

By 1930 Crown Agents had raised £450m for its clients through more than 200 loans.

1950

The rules governing Crown Agents’ client base were relaxed, allowing relationships with fully independent countries – Iraq becoming the first.

1960

Managed the world’s first sovereign wealth fund.

1971

Crown Agents appointed by DFID to provide management, administration and banking services for disbursement of UK Aid.

1989

Crown Agents Financial Services Limited was established to act as a banker to Crown Agents and its clients.

2006

Crown Agents Financial Services Limited changes name to Crown Agents Bank.
Crown Agents Asset Management changes name to Crown Agents Investment Management Limited.

2014

Crown Agents Bank appointed to panel of 20 banks authorised to arrange and administer loans under UK Export Finance’s £3billion Direct Lending Facility.

2016

Acquired by funds advised by Helios Investment Partners

2017

Launch of Crown Agents Bank’s FX trading platform, EMpowerFX.